The Harvest to Share - Indigenous Food Access program was launched to reflect the tradition of sharing gifts of the harvest from our forest, field and freshwater food sources.
The initiative relies on community connections to build awareness and interest in contributing to Harvest to Share. Contributions include a range of Indigenous foods to the district of Manitoulin, including: moose, venison, fish, berries, and other gathered foods. The food can be requested for community gatherings, ceremonies, workshops, and households. Referrals can be obtained from the Indigenous Foods Coordinator or from Noojmowin-Teg’s health professionals.
Recruitment process for large game contributors:
- Contributors for large game will be selected on a first come, first served basis, until allocated funds for the season are expended.
- To register: Contact Noojmowin Teg Health Centre to receive the Large Game Contributor registration form and guidelines.
- All game must be legally obtained, either through the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Act or Treaty Rights.
- Complete and return “Large Game Contributor” registration form prior to potential hunting dates.
- Will cover basic cut and wrap butcher fee for one animal per hunter, for a minimum of 1/3 meat donation in return, or more at the hunter’s discretion.
- Contributors can register for additional hunting dates, if interested in donating another animal.
- Upon successful harvest, the contributor will contact a licensed butcher facility, of their choice, and will provide notice to Noojmowin Teg Health Centre upon drop off to the butcher facility.
- Contributors will be responsible for own portion pick-up from Noojmowin Teg Health Centre site.
Noojmowin Teg Responsibilities:
- Once the contributor for large game registration form is received, they will be contacted to confirm their registration.
- Upon successful harvest for confirmed registered large game contributors, Noojmowin Teg Health Centre will be responsible for contacting the licensed butcher facility to arrange pick-up and payment of the final invoice.
- Entire portion is picked up by Noojmowin Teg Health Centre staff and divided on-site with the contributor using a scale.
To access the Contributor form please click here